Our family is on a new health kick as of late – I am trying to shed the baby weight, MC is naturally fit and healthy and we have seen the negative effects sugar has on our kids. A few months ago, we bought the kids recipe book: The Real Meal Revolution: Raising Superheroes and last night, whilst paging through the book, we decided to start making a few of the recipes and snacks for our girls.
Cocoa-And-Coconut Granola Bars
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic puffed brown rice cereal (I couldn’t find this so I left it out)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 100g chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- Line a small square baking tray with silicone paper.
- In a small saucepan melt the honey, butter and vanilla. Bring it to the boil and cook for one minute. Take off the heat and add the cocoa and chocolate and stir until it’s all melted together.
- Mix the remaining ingredients n a bowl and for the chocolate mix over them. Give everything a good stir so that they combine well.
- Using a spatula, press the mixture tightly into the lined baking tray.
- Place the tray in the fridge for at least an hour to set.
- Remove from the fridge and cut into bars or squares with a bread knife. The mixture is fragile so be gentle.