Week One – Cornflake Chicken
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- 500ml buttermilk
- 1tsp salt
- 2tsl paprika
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups cornflake crumbs (crumble in food processor or crush in a Ziploc bag)
- 1/2 tsp salt – for crumbs
- 1tsp paprika – for crumbs
- Coat the chicken with the buttermilk and spices and cover the bowl with cling-wrap. Allow to marinade in the fridge for up to 3 hours but no less than 20 minutes.
|Chicken in the marinade|
- Heat the oven to 220’C.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture and don’t take off all the buttermilk, leave enough on so that the crumbs have something to stick to.
|Chicken coated in crumbs|
- Combine the crumbs with the salt and paprika and coat the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the wire rack over a roasting tray and place in the oven.
- Because the heat of the oven is so high, you will have to check on the chicken every 7-10 minutes to make sure it’s not burning. If the chicken is browning to much in the first 10 minutes, turn your oven down to 180’C. The chicken should be cooked after approximately 25 minutes, just cut into a piece and make the flesh closest to the bone is not pink.
|Oops, slightly burnt…|
- Serve immediately (with vegetables and starch of your choice).
|Full dinner spread|
The final verdict on this meal:
Easy and quick to prepare
Slightly burnt due to a new oven